Countdown is on to the MK50 birthday weekend
Excitement is building with less than a week to go to Milton Keynes’ 50th birthday.
Thousands of people have already flocked to the must-see exhibition A New City Comes to Life at Middleton Hall, centre:mk, which features a host of exhibits from dinosaur bones to the driverless pod which has become synonymous with MK’s smart city research and development.
There’s lots going on around MK over the birthday weekend from 20-23 January from open studios to cheerleading lessons, much of it free, including:
- Bletchley Park is giving away 500 free tickets per day on 21 and 22 January to anyone with an MK postcode, as well as offering a year round discount on Mondays (see website for terms and conditions).
- Free children’s and adults sessions, and family fun day activities at local sports/leisure centres including Stantonbury, Woughton, Shenley and Bletchley – check details with your local centre.
- Free entry to MK Museum ALL DAY on Saturday 21 January.
- Historic films from Living Archive will be shown at the Odeon Cinema in Bletchley, as well as the latest documentary from local film-maker and historian Lee Scriven, who came to live in MK in the 70s. 1973 film MK: A Village City will be shown at MK Gallery on Friday 20 January.
- The launch of 50 Walks for MK50 on Monday 23 January to celebrate the fantastic walking groups, trails and events which take place across MK, coordinated by The Parks Trust and Milton Keynes Council.
Further details of all events – including many more for the birthday weekend itself - are available HERE
Milton Keynes Mayor Steve Coventry said: “We’ve had some momentous moments in Milton Keynes such as Her Majesty the Queen’s visit to open the MK Dons stadium, and playing host to Rugby World Cup 2015. But this is the big one – 50 years of Milton Keynes and a half century definitely not out. Since I arrived here I have seen the city flourish over the past decades and it’s now confidently settled into its maturity, going from strength to strength.
“I want everyone to join in the celebrations. The 50th Birthday weekend is the start of an action packed year for MK.”